FIU’s Travel Committee (TC) continues to monitor the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and is cognizant of faculty, staff and students wanting to resume traveling for academic and business purposes. Taking into consideration information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of State, World Health Organization and FIU’s own experts, the following restrictions are in place:
Domestic and international travel by faculty, staff and students on behalf of the university remains suspended until further notice. This suspension remains in place even though the U.S. Department of State lifted the “Level 4: Do Not Travel Global Health Advisory” on August 6, 2020. The current guidance is to refer to country-specific advisories as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect countries differently.
Recognizing that some trips are critical to our research preeminence and student success goals, the university will maintain the current protocol of accepting petitions for all outbound travel that is deemed essential to our achieving those goals. Please note that petitions for domestic research/field trips follow a separate review process routed directly to the Office of Research & Economic Development.
Petitions submitted by students must be supported by a member of the faculty. Also, vicinity travel (50 miles or less) and personal trips are excluded from this requirement.
Travel petitions must be submitted online and will be routed for review as follows. The ultimate decision to restrict travel rests with the Provost.
|Domestic Research/Field Trips (Students & Employees)||All Other Trips |
(Students & Employees)
Routed to ORED
For questions, please contact Dr. Luis Salas ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
Routed to the TC
For questions, please contact Ms. Gitta Montoto ( email@example.com)
If a travel exception is granted, travelers will be advised that they must:
- Submit a travel authorization request (TAR) via the regular process in Panthersoft. Attach the approval of the travel petition to the expense report as supporting documentation.
Applicable to international trips only:
- Follow the requirements and recommendations stipulated in FIU’s International Travel Policy
- Register the trip with the U.S. Department of State’s (DOS) Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and forward enrollment confirmation (auto-email) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students must register with the Office of Education Abroad (OEA), complete a pre-departure briefing with the OEA, and enroll in FIU’s international insurance program for students at their own cost.
- For international trips, check in with FIU Global (contact email@example.com) for a pre-departure briefing on destination-specific risks, arrival (abroad and returning home) requirements such as mandatory quarantine, insurance coverage in- and exclusions etc.
All members of the FIU community, including but not limited to students, employees, vendors, and visitors, are required to follow FIU policies and guidelines outlined in this website when accessing any physical university premises regardless of where they travel from (across the street, local, national, international). FIU will only require a period of quarantine if it is required by local, state or federal health authorities. We encourage our constituents to frequently check this website for the latest updates pertaining to travel guidelines.
International students and visiting scholars are invited to FIU in the Fall 2020 semester to complete their studies or teaching and research assignments. They are advised to inform themselves about changes to our academic enterprise in response to the COVID-19 pandemic prior to their departure to the U.S. and regularly visit this website. They should also contact our Office of International Student & Scholar Services for additional guidance.
The TC will re-evaluate these restrictions throughout the Fall 2020 semester. The TC will also provide guidance for Education Abroad program faculty directors to establish under which conditions such programs may be planned for Spring/Summer 2021 taking all risks into consideration. As a reminder, Education Abroad programs have been suspended until the end of Fall semester.
For questions concerning the current travel protocol, please contact TC Interim Chair Gitta Montoto at firstname.lastname@example.org.