- There currently is no active BBC SGA. It was promised that there would be special elections for SGA this summer, but no election has taken place. At this moment, students need a student voice more than ever. When will an election take place for the students at BBC?
The university is working with SGA advisors and executives to identify next steps for BBC.
- What opportunities does FIU have available to students who want to make a difference with the impact COVID-19 is having? Are there volunteer opportunities or internships available?
There are ways you can still volunteer in our current remote environment. Check the Center for Leadership and Service to learn how you can get involved.
- Will clubs (including fraternities and sororities) be allowed to meet in person?
Based on current trends with COVID-19, the university is recommending that all organizations continue to meet via Zoom or other online forms.
- Will the Honors College be adjusting its events/volunteering requirements? The place where I volunteered has suspended operations.
- Engagement points will not be required or enforced but we will still collect attendance (via PID or swipe) to track involvement for recognition awards.
- Engagement points will count for ONE Honors point across ALL events.
- Engagement events will be virtual or small group in-person events that focus on quality over quantity.
- Students will still be encouraged to attend events to continue to create community amongst Honors College students.
Community Service Hours:
- Community service hours will not be required but will be encouraged.
- Students can still submit their hours through MyHonors to track service for recognition awards.
- A volunteer email will be sent out to encourage students to interact with the community.
- The college will focus on creating a few events centered on service that students can do together.
- Are there any special rules I will need to follow if I’m on campus?
Yes. In an effort to ensure everyone’s safety, individuals who come to campus in the fall must comply with certain procedures. You will be required to complete the P3 app every time you come to campus. If you are exhibiting any symptoms or feeling ill, you should stay home.
It is recommended that you wear a facial covering while at FIU, including during class. Finally, we are asking everyone to wash their hands frequently or use hand sanitizer when it is not possible to their hands with soap and water. Learn more in Health & Safety.
- Are the student food pantries at MMC and BBC open?
Yes, see what's open for specific hours.
- What’s happening with commencement?
- Do student employees need to report to work?
Student employees who work on campus must check with their supervisor about remote work arrangements.
- Are the Counseling & Psychological Services/Victim Empowerment Program still seeing students?
CAPS/VEP is currently operating remotely. Scheduled appointments will be held over the phone or by videoconference (through a HIPAA-compliant platform). If you would to schedule an appointment, please call 305-348-2277 and leave a message for a call back.
If you are in need of immediate services, please call our 24-Hour hotline 305-348-2277 (CAPS) to speak with a licensed clinician.